Venison Chili with Beans
• 2 tablespoons lard
• 1-1/2 cups onion, chopped
• One 6-ounce can tomato paste
• 1 pound ground venison or other meat
• Two chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (from can), minced
• 1 tablespoon kosher salt
• 2 teaspoons garlic powder
• 2 tablespoons chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1 teaspoon coriander
• 1 tablespoon cumin
• 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or oregano)
• One 4-ounce can of fire-roasted green chilis
• One 15.5-ounce can beef stock
• Two 15.5-ounce cans fire-roasted tomatoes
• Two 15.5-ounce cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
• (1/4 cup masa harina)
- Add lard to large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once melted, add onions and tomato paste. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add meat & break up with spatula, then add minced chipotle peppers and all dry seasonings. Mix and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir well, then cover and turn heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour.
- If desired, stir in masa harina to thicken.
- Serve with sour cream, cheese, green onions (or chives), fresh cilantro, and — of course — chips.