Caribbean-style Beans & Rice
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 teapoon kosher salt
Bean Mixture Ingredients
- 1 medium-sized onion, minced OR 1-1/4 cups freeze-dried onion, rehydrated
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (from can), minced
- 1 cup petite diced fire roasted tomatoes from can, with juice
- Three 15.5 ounce cans seasoned black beans
- Fresh cilantro stems and leaves OR fresh oregano leaves
- Cook rice: add water, coconut milk, rice, and salt to sauce pan. Stir, bring to simmer, cover tightly, and cook over very low heat for 17 minutes. Turn off burner, flake rice with fork, cover, and let sit.
- Mince onion and place in heavy-bottomed pot with coconut oil. Cook over medium high heat until onions are lightly colored. Season with salt and pepper, and continue stirring.
- Add cumin, garlic powder, minced chipotle peppers, and canned tomatoes. Stir.
- Pour in canned black beans. Mix in fresh cilantro (or oregano) and some more salt and pepper. Cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Put rice in bowl and spoon black bean mixture over over the top. Garnish with cheese, sour cream, salsa, chopped lettuce, more chopped cilantro, and corn chips.