Bavarian Sauerbraten with Gingerbread Sauce
3 lb rump roast
1 large onion, cut into large chunks
2 celery stalks, washed, cubed
2 carrots, peeled, cubed
3 bay leaves
5 juniper berries
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 cup red wine
2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 cup water
2 cups beef broth
1 cup gluten free gingerbread cookies.
Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add marinade ingredients to large pot, heat to simmer, then cool to 120 degrees or lower.
- Add meat to large bowl, pour over marinade cover, refrigerate 5 days.
- Remove meat, dry with paper towels, season wi salt and pepper.
- Strain marinade reserving 2 cups, toss the solids in the trash.
- Sear meat in oil on all sides, then add reserved marinade liquid.
- Add beef broth, cover, cook 2 hours over simmer or until meat is tender, slice across the grain.
- Reduce liquid by half, add gingerbread cookies, whisk to mash them up, adjust gravy seasoning with salt was pepper to taste.
Serve with steamed cabbage and carrots.