Heirloom Berkshire Pork w Apples, Cider and Sage
- 2.5 lbs heirloom Berkshire pork, cut into small chunks
- ¼ c ap flour
- 2 large organic Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ¼ c lard
- 16 oz hard cider
- 5 sage leaves, minced
- ½ cup organic heavy cream
- salt and pepper taste
- Place a large dutch oven with tight fitting lid over medium high heat, add lard.
- Toss pork cubes with flour, mix well. Brown pork in pot, then take out with slotted spoon.
- Add more lard, the onions and cook for 5 minutes, deglaze pan with some of the cider, scrape up the brown stuff!
- Add pork, season it, then add half the sage, cover, reduce heat to low, cook 90 minutes.
- Open the pot, add cream, stir, cover cook another 20 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning before serving.
- Nice over egg noodles!!