Beef Stroganoff with Freeze-dried Beef
- 2 cups Emergency Essentials freeze-dried beef cubes
- 3 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, diced (fresh or freeze-dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Kosher salt & black pepper to taste
- One 15-ounce can mushroom pieces, drained
- 1 tablespoon Better then Bouillon beef base
- 3 tablespoon cream sherry (use real sherry that you would drink, not cooking wine)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour (can substitute arrowroot or cornstarch)
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons sour cream (rehydrate freeze-dried sour cream with just enough water for thick consistency)
- 3 tablespoons freeze-dried chives
- In bowl, pour 3 cups of boiling water over 2 cups of freeze-dried beef cubes.
- In large pot or wok, over medium heat, melt butter, add onion, and cook 2 minutes.
- Season with garlic powder, thyme, salt & pepper. Add canned mushrooms and cook 5 minutes.
- Add beef base, stir in and cook 1 minute.
- Deglaze pot with cream sherry or brandy, and cook 1 minute to evaporate most of the liquor.
- Add flour, stir well, cook 1 minute, then add beef (with rehydrating liquid), and stir well.
- Add Worcestershire Sauce and sour cream and stir well. Adjust salt & pepper and other seasonings to taste.
- Stir in chives.
- Serve over egg noodles or rice, or enjoy this dish by itself for a great low-carb meal.